Western Australia achieved self-government. Sir John Forrest, the first Premier of WA, and his friends Sir John Winthrop Hackett, and Archbishop C.O.L. Riley, founders of St George’s College, considered a university should be created for the now self-governing colony.
Sir John Winthrop Hackett died, leaving a young widow Deborah Vernon Hackett, who was the daughter of heroine Grace Bussell. Hackett’s will provided for the foundation of the College.
Following the sale by Hackett’s executor of shares in the company that owned the Western Australian and Western Mail newspapers, the firm of Sir Talbot Hobbs was appointed to be the College architects.
Second Warden The Rev. Canon Charles B. Law installed.
H.J. Hopkins becomes the first of 23 College members to be selected as a Rhodes scholar.
1939 - 1945
St George's College pays tribute to the 14 young College members who died during the Second World War.
Nicholson Cup expands and now includes hockey, football, rowing, cricket, basketball, athletics and swimming.
Warden’s residence completed.
The War Memorial Squash Court constructed.
South Wing construction begins and the building is opened on 25th March 1962.
Guy Grey-Smith with his mural painted in the South Wing in 1963. Photographed with Josh Reynolds.
Publication: "Campus at Crawley", Reid, Alexander, F.W. Cheshire, WA.
North Wing construction begins, to be completed in 1968.
St George’s officially becomes co-educational.
Publication: "St George's College, The First Fifty Years", Wills-Johnson, Brian. The Georgians (Inc.), WA.
Sir John Hackett (son of Sir John Winthrop Hackett) dies after a distinguished military career.
Publication: "Bless 'Em All", The Georgians. The Georgians (Inc.) WA.
The Memorial Wing Townhouses were officially opened. The wing was dedicated with a Wall of Remembrance for the 14 young Georgians who lost their lives during WWII.
The new accommodation block completed in 2010 was named the Newby Wing to acknowledge the considerable financial support of Mr David Newby (1962), who was Senior Student in 1965 and a Rhodes Scholar in 1966.
The College sustained considerable damage during the 2010 hail storm.
Seventh Warden Ian Hardy installed.
The Chapel restoration was completed.
Publication: "The Hackett Memorial Buildings at the University of Western Australia", Melville-Jones, John. Hesperian Press, WA. St George's College and Chapel are featured in pages 49-51.